STARTING A BUSINESS INVOLVES THREE BASIC STEPS:
STEP 1 - Name Approval Request
The first step in incorporation or registration of firms is the approval of the business name.You must submit a name approval request if you intend to incorporate, register a business, or register an extra provincial company. (A name approval is not required for an incorporated limited company that wants to use its incorporation number as its company name.) This process combines the name search and approval. The approval of any name is at the discretion of the Registrar of Companies
Once approved, you will be assigned a Name Reservation number to be used in the business registration process.
Research Your Choices – check them out for potential conflicts through telephone listings, business directories and other publications.
STEP 2 - Register the Business
The West Vancouver Chamber of Commerce does not register businesses.
For Proprietorships & Partnerships
One Stop Business Registration www.onestopbc.ca and select option # 4
Help Desk 1-877-822-6727 Frequently Asked Questions
Go to Corporate Online www.corporateonline.gov.bc.ca and select “File an Incorporation Application”
Online filings can be submitted from 6:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m. Monday through Saturday, including statutory holidays and 1:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m. on Sunday.
Help Desk 1-800-663-6102 (toll free)
If the company is to be incorporated with a name created by adding “B.C. Ltd.” after the incorporation number. (Eg. 873524 B.C. Ltd.) go to the Corporate Online link select “File an Incorporation Application” and select option (b) on the second page.
STEP 3 - Business License
Processed at West Vancouver Municipal Hall, 750 – 17th Street:
For business licence information and current prices call The District of West Vancouver 604-925-7152
District Bylaws including Business Licence Bylaws
To operate a business in West Vancouver, you need a business licence. This also applies to tradesmen—such as builders, plumbers, electricians and landscape gardeners—coming into the community to perform work. New business licence applications received from August 1 to December 31 are pro-rated.
Getting a Business Licence
1. Complete a business licence application.
2. Once you have completed your business licence application, fax, mail or hand-deliver it to the following address:
Bylaw & Licensing Services
750 17th Street
West Vancouver BC V7V 3T3
3. An account will be opened and an invoice will be mailed to you. You can pay this online.
4. In most cases, an inspection will be required.
- commercial locations: a licence inspector will contact you to schedule an inspection
- home-based business locations: a licence inspector will contact you by phone to review the application and an inspection may be booked
- there is no inspection required for non-resident businesses, such as trades contractors or commercial dog walkers with offices located outside of West Vancouver
5. Once you have passed all necessary inspections, your licence will be issued.
- a business cannot operate until the business licence has been approved
licences are for the calendar year only
- you will receive a renewal notification in December of each year and you can renew your licence online
- trades can apply for necessary permits at the time of application
GOVERNMENT OF BC, MINISTRY OF FINANCE - CORPORATE REGISTRY FORMS
From this page you can download and print, to your own printer, most of the common statutory forms filed with the Corporate Registry. Find out more about
- Incorporated Companies
- Sole Proprietorship and Partnerships (General, Limited and Limited Liability)
- Extra provincial Companies
- B.C. School District
- Business Companies
- Financial Institutions and Credit Unions
TO CHANGE A GENERAL PARTERNSHIP OR SOLE PROPRIETORSHIP BUSINESS NAME
The first step is to complete a Name Reservation Form for the new name.
Once the name has been approved the next step is to complete a Dissolution or Change of General Partnership/Sole Proprietorship form (see link above).
The cost to change the name is the same as registering a new business; however, the business retains its original registration number and registration date, which can be important.
WEST VANCOUVER MEMORIAL LIBRARY - BUSINESS:
We have free wireless internet and many business-related resources, both print and online. Our business related databases and websites are grouped together on our BUSINESS “Info by Topic” page: https://www.westvanlibrary.ca/index.php?page=59topic_id=23
The West Vancouver Chamber of Commerce is pleased to provide links to other sites. These links will automatically open in a new browser window. Some sites have been selected for commonality of subject matter while others have been picked because they contain material we believe our viewers will find useful.
The West Vancouver Chamber of Commerce believes these sites to be credible. Please be aware, however, that The West Vancouver Chamber of Commerce has no control over these sites or the information located therein and so makes no guarantees about such sites and such information as to accuracy, currency, content, quality or any other characteristic. As with The West Vancouver Chamber of Commerce, you should not assume these sites are error-free. The West Vancouver Chamber of Commerce is not responsible for the results of any defects that may exist in these sites, or any consequential damages that may result from use of such sites or from such defects.
To report a broken link or to suggest a link be added, please contact the West Vancouver Chamber of Commerce at firstname.lastname@example.org.